Here's a basic framework that can help guide your meeting.
Create a shared etherpad and document the following items. The documentation is key, it's too hard to keep everything in your head.
- What is the problem we're trying to solve? Why is the meeting happening?
- Does everyone agree on the problem statement and why they're here?
- What are the options we could use to address the problem?
- For each option:
- What are the positive to this approach?
- What are the potential blockers / concerns to this approach?
- Decision Making
- Which is the best option of the ideas just discussed? Remember, there is rarely a silver bullet approach that won't have at least a few concerns or considerations.
- Actions Needed
- What actions items are necessary to achieve the agreed upon solution?
- Assign these to specific people with specific tasks and deadlines.
- Follow Up
- When is the next meeting to discuss progress?
- Make sure someone is assigned to schedule this meeting (preferably before leaving the meeting).